Information That Skillnexus Collects From You (Including Personal Information)
Skillnexus directly collects information when you:
- sign up for a Skillnexus user account and create a Skillnexus user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service;
- send email messages to Skillnexus (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, workshops, and other interactive experiences on the Skillnexus also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Skillnexus Site.
Skillnexus does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the Skillnexus Site, you will be directed to Skillnexus’s third-party payment processor.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the Skillnexus Site, for example:
- in your Skillnexus account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other Skillnexus Site users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, workshop, or other interactive experience on the Skillnexus Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the Skillnexus Site or a course).
Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the Skillnexus Site
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
Skillnexus use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the Skillnexus Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the Skillnexus community and enable Skillnexus usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the Skillnexus Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on Skillnexus. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the Skillnexus Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the Skillnexus Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the Skillnexus Site.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Skillnexus Site – This includes tracking Skillnexus Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the Skillnexus Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and Skillnexus Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of Skillnexus or Skillnexus affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track Skillnexus Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Skillnexus, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
Skillnexus share information with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the Skillnexus Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the Skillnexus site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, Skillnexus and each Member that offer a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your or course participation, Skillnexus will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
STORAGE & SECURITY
Skillnexus stores information on its own servers and also on servers of companies that Skillnexus hires to provide services. Skillnexus controls its own copy of information collected through the Skillnexus site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. Skillnexus uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Skillnexus cannot guarantee its absolute security. While Skillnexus works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, Skillnexus cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
Effective Date: May 3, 2021